Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stoneyfield Farms organic plain yogurt!

In an attempt to add more calcium and probiotics into my diet I decided to start eating Stoneyfield lowfat plain yogurt. Although it doesn't have much flavor by itself it has become my favorite blank canvas from which to create dozons of new recipes. Of course I started out making the classic tzatziki sauce with garlic, dill, cucumber and lemon juice and I loved it! I found that I preferred it lemon free b/c the natural tang from the yogurt itself was engouh. From there I went wild. Cilantro based yogurt sauces with cumin, garlic, and chilie powder was amazing over grilled chicken, onions and peppers. Pesto flavored sauce with fresh basil, garlic and onion came next and was terrific over meatballs. For a snack I sweetened a cup with stevia and farm fresh strawberries and blueberries. The longer it sits with the fruit in it, the better.

One trick when using it in savory recipes is to let it drain for about an hour over a fine mesh collander lined with cheese cloth. I have left it drain for 24 hours and that's even better. It makes it so rich and thick and gives you that mouth feel like you're eating something decadent when it's basically fat free. My current blend combines fresh cilantro, green onions, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper! It's wonderful over anything and perks up lean chicken breast fabulously! I'm always thinking of new creations and am feeling great about eating something so good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment