Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My love of cooking and health

Food is everything to me. Healthy food that is. Not only does it fill my belly and give me the fuel I need for the day but it gives me the nutrients I need to function at my best; mind, body and spirit. I eat foods that provide the biggest "bang for my buck" so that I can squeeze out every nutrient I can to give to my body. Clean, unprocessed, all natural food. My motto, if you can't grow it, don't eat it. Eating this way makes me feel great physically but also mentally because I know I'm doing all I can to be as healthy as possible. Okay, okay truth be told I am known to purchase few ingredients that do have to processed but it's things like bread, dijon mustard, teriyaki sauce, and tomatoe sauce but if you notice they're all pretty pure ingredients. And I gave up on trying to make bread months ago. I'm so not a bread baker! I think I've had one loaf turn out perfectly but 99% of the time I get little bricks of flour that go right into the trash (well, composter). I've tried all the tricks to make perfect bread and for some reason it's just not working!

Anyway aside from eating a clean diet the even better part is cooking with all these fabulous, fresh ingredients. I could spend hours (and I sometimes do) in the kitchen cooking! Trying a new blend of fresh herbs for my turkey/veggie meatloaf. Making salad dressing and yogurt sauces with fresh herbs, olive oil right from Greece and roasted garlic. I love creating new recipes and experimenting with new flavors. Cooking is theraputic to me and I find that even after a long day on my feet I come home to my kitchen and relax with cooking. It's great "me" time and it makes me happy. What's better than being happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment