Sunday, June 7, 2009

Skinny Bitch

I just read the book Skinny Bitch and I have to say that it is honesty in it's most brutal, almost insulting form. While I enjoyed the jplethora of information and breakdown of every aspect of food and eating I felt almost as though I was a child being punished. A lot of the information I agree with and in all honesty I feel as though I eat as a purist. I pride myself on buying the best foods I can get my hands on and limit my exposure to as many processed foods, preservatives and pesticides as possible. I don't know if I buy into everything in the book nor will I follow it 100% but I do think it's a quick, informative and somewhat entertaining book that provides a lot of information in a way that can keep people interested. While I only eat fish and fowl giving them up completely is not something that I can do. There isn't enough proof to convince me that eating organic, farm-raised chicken will wreck havock upon my body. Could I cut back on my protein intake? Sure, I will attest to that. My caffeine? I will never give up coffee but I can certainly cut back and buy only organic. I could go on and on and continue to cut out more and more but honestly, where does it end? Where do you draw the line between be OCD and healthy. There needs to be some wiggle room. Unfortunatly the majority of Americans take this wiggle room to the extreme.

I do have a lot of respect for this book because it is trying to shake our nation out of this obesity epidemic and wake us up to the severe health risks of the American diet. It is the brutal honesty that people need to hear. Most americans are terribly overweight and unhealthy. Most people subsist on fast food, pre-packaged meals and highly processed foods. Yes there are a lot of people who don't have the education to know what is truly good or bad for them but come on, you know that a salad is much better for you than a burger and fries. And that it takes just as much time to eat a turkey sanwhich as it does to eat a double whopper. As a personal trainer I have heard ALL the excuses and they are truly pathetic. What it comes down to is how much people really care about themselves. I cannot sit in front of anyone and make them want to eat healthfully. All I can do is educate. The rest is up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment