Friday, August 21, 2009

Stuffed!

Lately, I have been experimenting with "stuffed" recipes. I have always been a fan of stuffed red bell peppers so when I stumbled on a recipe that included baked eggs in peppers I had to give it a try. Two of my favorite things that I had never put together in such a way turned out to be excellent and I am happy to add yet another new recipe to my book of keepers.

Egg stuffed peppers

2 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, chopped

5 ounces of cooked and drained spinach

1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes and roasted until soft and golden

Salt and pepper

4 large eggs

1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Set the oven to broil. Place the bell peppers skin side up on a baking sheet in the oven for 8 minutes or until skin starts to blacken. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan sautee the onion until translucent. Add in the spinach and squash and begin to mix together, mashing the squash. Add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and season mixture with 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. When peppers are beginning to blacken remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F. Spoon 1/4 of the squash mixture into each pepper half. Using a spoon, make an indentation in the center of each stuffed pepper. Crack an egg into each indentation; season with salt, pepper, and remaining parmesan. Bake until the eggs are just set, about 20 minutes.

Something totally different but surprisingly delicious. I give the credit to Rachel Ray who inspired me with her variation on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment